Last Sunday I celebrated another 365-day trip around the Sun and honestly it was a really special one. I want to share something sweet with you from a day filled with sweet surprises and new discoveries.
Cakes are must-haves on birthdays and for long I’ve struggled to imagine the real deal without using dairy products. Particularly, an alternative to my good old, beloved cheesecake proved to be a challenge which I am thrilled to announce got debunked this year. Big time.
Try this vegan wonder and prepare to be wowed. A baked, gluten and dairy-free cake to make your day sweeter and prove to you that there is super awesome baked goods beyond dairy!
- 100 g (gluten-free) oats
- 120 g raw almonds
- 5 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 140 g raw cashew nuts
- 200 g vegan cream cheese
- 200 ml coconut cream
- 140 ml maple syrup
- 5 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil
- Lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
+ Berries/ jam for serving (optional)
- Soak the cashews in boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C and line a small cake or loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare the crust by adding the oats, almonds, brown sugar, sea salt to a high speed blender. Mix until you reach a fine consistency. Then transfer to a mixing bowl and slowly mix in the melted coconut oil until the dough stops crumbling. Feel free to add more melted coconut oil if the mix seems too dry.
- Transfer the mixture to the cake pan, spread it evenly and gently pack it down.
- Bake for 15 minutes on 180°C, then increase the heat to 200°C for 5 more minutes. After, remove from oven and reduce the heat to 180°C.
- Continue with the filling by draining the cashews thoroughly. Add to a high speed blender along with the coconut cream, vegan cream cheese, maple syrup, coconut oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt. Blend until you reach a creamy and smooth consistency. Taste as you move along and adjust if needed.
- Pour the filling over the pre-baked crust and spread it evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes, cool down and refrigerate until firm, for 2 hours or overnight.
- Cut into beautiful triangles and optionally upgrade with berries for serving.
Credits to the Minimalist Baker for the inspiration to create super delicious vegan recipes. This is the recipe I went creative on.