What do you think works better when it comes to inspiring sustainable behaviour, the carrot or the stick? I believe that changing our daily actions for the better is a tough job and we all need a pet on the shoulder from time to time to keep going.
I often see people being put under harsh scrutiny in consequence of speaking up about issues that are close to their hearts, especially in the realm of climate change. The magnifying lenses are pulled out and the script gets flipped to toxicity instead of positivity.
It is my goal to change that. Let’s keep on celebrating successes and taking small steps that add up to a large impact. This week, I invite you to give yourself a treat, in other words: focus on the carrot instead of the stick. What about these delicious grilled carrots to start with? Saviour as an awesome appetizer or as a side of a main dish. Yum!
- 8-12 small carrots^
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Coarse salt to taste
- Heat oven to 200°C.
- Clean carrots, toss with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on a sheet tray.
- Grill carrots until nicely charred and fork tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve with carrot top pesto (a great way to use up the whole veg) or a fabulous balsamic vinegar glazing.
^ I got my hands on cute-sized carrots from the market. Supermarket carrots on the other hand often come in larger sizes which makes the dish less appealing. No despair! Cut the carrots lengthways and pick up where you left off. Clever cutting techniques can fix more than we expect.