Desperate for something cool on a hot summer day? What about a quick, refreshing, culinary adventure inspired by Andalusia? Time for some raw love, baby! Gazpacho is a cold soup made of raw, blended veggies. It is widely eaten in Spain and Portugal due to its fresh and cool qualities. This week we bring you a glorious version from Meli & Kinga’s kitchen. From Vienna with love!
Leading a planetary lifestyle and eating accordingly can be quite simple. You don’t need to sweat in the kitchen for countless hours to create tasty meals. This dish brings that point home. All the way. Enjoy this summer soup packed with fresh-from-the-garden flavours! Done in the grand total of ten minutes.
- 5 medium tomatoes
- ½ cucumber, peeled
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored & seeded
- 1 small onion, peeled
- 1 large clove of garlic, peeled
- 2 slices of bread, without the crust *Gluten-free version
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Prepare the veggies: Chop the onion and garlic. Cut the tomatoes and bell pepper into large pieces. Peel the cucumber and slice it up.**
- Remove the crust of the bread and cut it into large cubes.
- Add everything to a blender: onion, garlic, tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, bread, olive oil, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- If time allows chill for about two hours, then taste for salt and pepper. Adjust if necessary.
- Plate nicely and garnish with cucumber slices, chopped bell pepper and freshly ground black pepper. Our favourite version is to serve the soup with a slice of rye bread. It highlights the unique, fresh taste of the dish!
* Feel free to skip the bread or substitute it with ½ cup of cooked rice for a gluten-free version. Got some leftover bread? Perfect! Add it for extra creaminess. Prefer to skip it? No prob!
** Reserve small pieces of finely chopped bell pepper & cucumber for garnishing.