In light of a slow Christmas, please enjoy a starter that allows you to break out of the kitchen and spend time with loved ones. These filled mushrooms bring our Christmas preparations full circle by adding a quick, easy, veggie starter to the festive menu.
Now, I am off to spend quality time with my family, enjoy boardgames, experiment with plant-based meals and play around with the intersection of tradition and innovation. One size does not fit all. Christmas is a time when this becomes crystal clear. Take what you need, leave what you don’t. Focus on what fills you up. Merry Christmas!
- 8 button mushrooms / 2 large portobellos^
- 100 g goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon of pine seeds
- 1 clove of garlic
- Arugula for serving
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Prepare the mushrooms by removing the stem and spreading them out on a sheet tray. Brush with olive oil and add salt and pepper.
- Finely chop the garlic and spread on the bottom of each ‘shroom. To avoid food waste, chop the stems into the filling if not too woody. Fill each mushroom with crumbles of goat cheese, then add a generous amount of honey and a couple of pine seeds on top. Top with freshly ground pepper.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until done, this time will depend on the size of your mushrooms.
- Serve on a bed of arugula, consume while it’s hot.
^ The recipe is fabulous when made from large portobello mushrooms, but works just as well with cute little button mushrooms. Use whatever your pocket and mood allows. Make it your own!