Summer is going strong and with it comes the demand for quick and healthy meals. This week, we are bringing a BBQ-proof burger to Piece of Plate’s table. Why burgers?
Making our own veggie patties instead of eating big juicy meat burgers is an instant impact creator. Growing veggies compared to producing meat puts far less strain on the environment. Ergo, plants are cool. This vegan veggie wonder will make your tummy happy while doing good for the planet. Accessible, affordable and enjoyable. We promise!
For the Oyster’shroom & bean patties:
- 1 can of kidney beans (~400g)
- 150g Oyster mushrooms
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 100g bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon of ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon of ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- Salt to taste
- Burger buns
- Lettuce leaves
- Tomato slices
- Red onion rings
- Homemade hummus (check our recipe)
- (Vegan) mayo
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic. Then, chop the oyster mushrooms into small bits.
- Put 5 tablespoons of water into a frying pan on a high heat. Once hot, add the onion and garlic, stirring regularly. After 3 minutes, add the mushroom and cook for another two minutes. Now, it’s time to add the herbs and spices. Stir fry for 2 more minutes. Then, remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, drain the beans. Add the breadcrumbs, beans and the nutritional yeast into a bowl and mix well.
- When the mushrooms are done, add them into the bowl and mix. Leave to cool for a bit. Using your hands or a wooden spoon mash and mix so that it is well combined.
- Form this mixture into burger shaped patties. Pro tip: make sure to really compress them!
- Grill them in the oven at 180°C for 10-12 minutes or toss them on the BBQ for a couple of minutes.
- Serve in a beautiful burger bun. See our suggestions in the ingredient list. Don’t forget our fabulous homemade hummus to seal the deal!