Root veggies are my go-tos in wintertime and the possibilities are limitless when it comes to one of my faves at this time of the year: beetroots. Forget your old experiences of crinkle-cut slices steeped in overpowering vinegar. Beetroots have so much to offer in terms of flavour, texture, colour and health benefits. They are sweet, earthy, smooth, velvety and their colour will make your heart skip a beat. Pink does makes perfect.
Enjoy these sweet, tender, roasted beetroots tossed through fluffy gnocchi with garlic and rosemary. Topped with beetroot’s good-old friends, walnuts and white cheese. Affordable, simple and crazy delicious.
- 5 medium beetroots
- 1 red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Fresh rosemary, leaves only
- 400 g gnocchi
- 1 lemon’s juice
- 50 g rocket
- 100 g Gorgonzola/ vegan white cheese
- 50 g walnuts, chopped
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Heat your oven to 200°C.
- Slice the leaves and stalks off your beetroots, then rinse and slice them into thin wedges. No need to peel them unless you really prefer to.^ Peel and slice red onions. Toss beetroot and red onion slices in a large mixing bowl to coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 mins.
- Meanwhile, peel and finely chop the garlic cloves. Pluck the rosemary leaves from their sprigs and finely chop them as well.
- Cook the gnocchi according to instructions.
- When the oven veggies are nearly done and the gnocchi is almost cooked add one tablespoon of olive oil into a large pan or wok and warm to medium heat. Add the chopped garlic and rosemary and fry for 2 minutes. Stir the roasted beetroots and red onions into the pan and fry for 2 minutes. Then add the cooked gnocchi. Fry for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally, making sure the gnocchi is warmed through. Squeeze the juice of the lemon on top and give the pan a good stir.
- Portion the gnocchi on plates. Top with a handful of rocket, and crumble over the Gorgonzola/ vegan white cheese and chopped walnuts.
^ Watch out when preparing beetroots. The downside of the vivid, wonderful colour is that the stains are real. Ooops! Wash your chopping board straight away and protect your clothes with an apron.