After last week’s veggie BBQ adventure, we wanted to bring a colourful indoor alternative featuring one of our favourites: bell peppers! This week’s treat is a special one, a collaborative effort with our powerhouse in Vienna. Look inside Meli’s kitchen and rock this goodie which is not only nourishing for the body, but also beautiful for the eye. Heavenly in its vegan glory, but also knocks your vegetarian socks off. Planetary cooking need not be a compromise. This week’s treat seals the deal!
For the stuffed peppers:
- ½ cup of dry quinoa
- 1 cup of water/ veggie broth
- 4 large bell peppers, cut in half
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can of sweetcorn (~ 150g)
- 1 can of black beans (~ 400g) & half of the can’s liquid
- 1 big clove of garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
For the avocado topping* (optional):
- 2 avocados, mashed
- 5 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- Chili to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
+ Lime wedges
- Cook the quinoa: In a small pot, add quinoa to the boiling veggie broth. Cover with lid and cook until the quinoa absorbed all of the liquid, about 15 minutes.**
- Prepare the bell peppers: Preheat the oven to 200°C. Wash and cut each pepper in half and remove membranes & seeds. Brush a little olive oil inside each pepper, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast them in the oven until tender, about 15 minutes.***
- Meanwhile, prepare the stuffing: In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add chopped garlic, corn, black beans and about half of the beans’ liquid. Sauté for another 10 minutes. Lower the heat, add the cooked quinoa, combine well and flavour to taste. Leave on fire for another 2 minutes.
- Fill the peppers: Divide the stuffing evenly among the pepper halves, making sure to fully fill each of them. Place them back in the oven and bake for another 5 minutes.****
- Finally, put your ‘Love on Top’, AKA the avocado topping. Mash the avocados in a bowl, add the chopped garlic and cherry tomatoes, lime juice, chili, pepper. Combine well and salt to taste!
- Plate nicely, garnish with fresh herbs, diced red onions and halved cherry tomatoes. Finally, serve with lime wedges. Squeezing fresh lime juice on top provides that extra freshness we all crave on warm summer evenings.
* In order to bring these stuffed peppers to their full glory, we brought an avocado topping to your table. This can be substituted with sour cream and some yummy meltable cheese. Take your pick depending on your preferences. Delicious in its vegan version, but also kicks a.s as a vegetarian option. We promise.
** Unfamiliar with preparing quinoa? No despair! Learn more about cooking the perfect quinoa, right here!
*** If the peppers have a healthy stem, try to leave them intact. Carefully cut it down the middle, leaving half of them stem on each of the pepper halves. This helps to keep their shapes throughout preparing the dish.
**** Pro tip: pull the stem gently upwards when filling the peppers to reach the far corners with the stuffing. At first glance the stuffing may seem like a lot, but in fact it all fits just fine.
P.S. Hugs to Meli who got inspired after reading this recipe and making it her own!