Have you noticed the cold chill in the air? Leaves are falling, raincoats are back, and the Sun disappears on us each day a little faster. It seems, our frenemy called Autumn is back again. On one hand, who doesn’t love the magical colours of the season and sipping hot beverages while it’s pouring outside? On the other hand, who is honestly ready to kiss summer goodbye?
Many of us try to fix our moods by travelling to far away tropical destinations. If you are someone like me, constant grey weather can have a serious impact on your mood. We can escape our rainy reality, but tropical trips won’t fundamentally change our experience of grey weeks at the places we call home. Thus, I suggest to look for a more sustainable option to get lifted.
Whether you consider autumn a friend or an enemy, it’s time to loosen up a little. What about bringing bright colours, distinct textures and fun tastes on your plate? We believe that a good meal can turn our days around and change our moods completely. Here’s an idea how to brighten up those rainy autumn days!
For the salad:
- 200 g dry quinoa
- 500 ml water
- 100 g frozen green peas
- 125 g kale
- 1 can of sweetcorn (~ 150g)
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, stoned and cut into cubes (optional)
- Handful of pomegranate seeds
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- Start with cooking the quinoa. In a small pot, add quinoa and half a litre of water, and bring to boil. Cover with lid and cook until the quinoa absorbed all of the liquid, about 15 minutes, adding the frozen peas for the last 5 minutes.*
- Meanwhile, prepare the kale and the corn. Preheat the oven to 220°C. Strip the kale off its stalks and tear into pieces. You’ won’t be needing the stalks for this recipe. Place the kale and the corn on a baking tray with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir the dressing ingredients together.
- Transfer all veggies: kale, sweetcorn, shallots, green peas, pomegranate, quinoa and the dressing in a large bowl and mix well.
- Plate nicely and garnish with chunks of avocado.**
* Unfamiliar with preparing quinoa? No despair! Learn more about cooking the perfect quinoa, right here!
** Add the avocado, if using, just before serving, otherwise it will turn brown.
Credits to Meli for making this delicious treat after getting inspired by Deliciously Ella‘s plant-based cookbook. How does your version taste like?