After returning from holidays with admittedly lots of pleasure eating, I have been pondering over ‘healthy’ and ’emotionally healthy’ meals. Are they the same or wildly different? Can a dish be both? How do we find the intersection?
Sure, I am an advocate for meals that are good for the planet and nutritious for the body. At the same time, I am no stranger to craving some comfort food when feeling under the weather. While nursing a cold after giving it my all in Hungary, I felt exactly that. In need of a little bit of extra self-love.
When the body speaks, we ought to listen. I believe, ‘healthy’ also requires us to find what feels right in that specific moment (within reason). With love, I am sharing a plant based go-to brekkie that made my day just a little sweeter.
- ½ cup round/ short-grain rice
- 1 ½ cup of water
- 1 ½ cup of plant-based milk
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
+ Fresh fruits of your choice
- Put the rice, water, salt, cinnamon and cardamom in a pot, bring to a boil.
- When the rice has soaked up the water, add the milk and coconut oil. Simmer slowly until the mixture is creamy and thick.
- Meanwhile, cut the fresh fruits to preferred size. As soon as the rice is ready, you can start with making a super-duper-looking bowl of love. The devil is in the details.*
* Get your hands on local and seasonal fruits if you can. I managed to score some peaches that were beautifully sweet. Besides, I gave it a plum hug and some frozen strawberries from the freezer. Don’t be shy to improvise! Work with that you have.